Tuesday 10 November 2009

Pink elephant in the room...........

When is a compliment not a compliment?





I have been working very hard on my weight loss over the last 6 weeks – I have seriously looked at all areas of my life – I have committed myself one hundred percent to losing weight and also changing my eating habits and moving towards my older years as a healthier person.
So today I saw someone who I haven’t seen in months and the first words were “you look really well and have you lost a load of weight”.

My almost instance response was “ thanks and yes I have” ...... but for some reason I had to think about it and just answered “ it’s work in progress “ .......

Yes I have lost weight but my face is the same and my hair is the same ....... and I had my “cocoon dress” on. So I didn’t look skinny just me Vicki.

As I left the meeting I was thinking “so the last time he saw me in April on an unseasonal warm day I was in a dress with no coat, did I look huge and bloated or a mess?

So my question is – “is it really a compliment when people comment on your weight loss? Do we all secretly size people up and equate weight loss and slimness with health?

I now wonder if I have inadvertently offended people by asking about their weight or am I being touchy and I should be pleased he noticed.

No comments:

Post a Comment