Thursday 10 December 2009

Enough already..........

Last Sunday I went to my local supermarket just for a few items we had forgotten – like teabags and some extra milk ...........Waitrose like most supermarkets have two sizes of trolley and a basket.
I opted for the small trolley even though I was buying a few items so I could put the rest of my shopping & handbag in the trolley. There was an abundance of the small trolleys normally they are like gold dust as most people opt for these unless they are buying for a large family.
I hit the aisle and was just going up and down two for my milk, teabags and some bread ......meanwhile all around people were lingering over every shelf and chilled cabinet and piling food into their large trolleys- we are talking all kinds of food you only see during the holiday period like fresh white sauce for Christmas puddings and duck fat in tubs and then all kinds of nuts and snacks in lurid packets.
It’s like food voyeurism looking in peoples trolley’s I often do this – it may be judgemental or totally off the mark but looking at peoples food when they load onto the conveyer belt – “single, divorced guy with a chicken, dry roasted peanuts, bottle of Scotch and a six pack of bear “– widow “cat food and a piece of frozen fish and a prepared salad and some rice pudding” ........
But looking at the mountains being built in trolleys of bumper packs of snacks , pre made Yorkshire puddings, Turkey gravy , tins of chocolate you have to think there are nearly twenty days to Christmas – so twenty days of more food and gift shopping ....... plus all the “just in case” shopping we do. I couldn’t guess what they were doing other than laying in for an apocalypse or a siege.






So why every year do we buy all this food which we either feel forced to eat or we have to “offer i.e. force” other people to eat and then come the 2nd of January feel out of shape and overweight ..... Which is bound to happen as every available dish and surface with have a bowl of nibbles, chocolates, crisps?
So this week when I do my quick run round the supermarket will I see the same local people buying even more fun food and drinks and produce – I wonder if their fridges and freezers have any room to hold any more – I’m betting they will be back.
For many years I was this woman with the big trolley and yes in the New Year all my clothes were tight and I felt uncomfortable but now I’m restraining myself as I know I can happily graze at other folks houses as they will be pressing food on me due to their overstuffed cupboards and fridges/ freezers.
With over 45% of the population overweight or on a diet in the UK and half the world starving when do we say enough already.

No comments:

Post a Comment